Insulating Your Garage Door: 8 Steps To Help Do It Yourself
Every homeowner should look into the benefits of insulating their garage door. From increasing the safety of items stored in your garage to promoting energy efficiency and saving costs, insulating your door can be one of the best decisions homeowners can make. For those seeking to experience the benefits of having an insulated garage door, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it yourself.
- The first thing that you’ll need to do for this project is to select insulation. Look for insulations with higher R-values. R-value indicates how well insulation can prevent the flow of heat into and out of a home. While higher R-value insulations tend to be more expensive than other options, they are more effective in improving energy efficiency and maintaining a pleasant climate within your home. Ultimately, you should choose insulation that is a good fit for you and your garage door.
- Once you have gathered the insulation and all of the required equipment for the project, you start by marking the door and establishing where the fasteners will be. Make two marks on each door panel that are both twelve inches in from each side and centered vertically.
- Next, you’ll need to apply double-sided tape onto the marked spots that you’ve made on the door panels.
- After you have applied the tape to the marked spots, you’ll need to attach retainer clips to it. Take off the front side peel of the tape and place a retainer clip onto each piece of tape.
- The next step is measuring each door panel. You’ll want to be diligent because each panel can differ in its measurements and may not be identical to one another.
- Cut a piece of insulation for each door panel. Make sure that you cut an inch or two longer than your listed measurements for your panels. You can then take off any excess insulation. Throughout this process, wear protective gear like gloves and goggles because insulation can irritate your skin and eyes.
- Slide each insulation piece into the appropriate door panel with the vinyl or reflective side facing outward.
- Lastly, push the insulation against the door and find the retention clips. Then cut half-inch slits through the insulation so that you can bring the retention clips through. Connect the front pieces of the retention clips to the back pieces to ensure that the insulation panels are secured.
Some of the benefits of insulating your garage door can also be experienced with regular maintenance and repairs. Get in touch with the garage door repair and installation experts at All Right Garage Doors to help ensure the long-term health of your door. Our record of success is proof to Orange County and Mission Viejo homeowners that we can provide them a client experience that is the best in the industry, offering both friendly customer service and quality garage door repair services. To learn more about what All Right Garage can do for you, call us at (714) 726-2225 or contact us online.