If you’ve been noticing that your garage door has become increasingly noisier when in use, this could signal a need for maintenance. Garage doors can become squeaky and loud when not properly maintained through greasing. An ungreased garage door isn’t just a noisy annoyance, it can also jeopardize the health and functionality of your garage door. This makes it especially important to keep your garage door and all of its parts lubricated. Here are seven steps to lubricating your garage door.
Before lubricating your garage door, there are several tasks that need to be completed. Make sure that parts of your garage door are not loose. One area where this needs to be done is with the garage door opener chain. When a chain is loose, it will be a source for loud disruptive sounds. You should also give your hinges a close examination to see the state that they are in. Worn-down hinges are known to cause noise and door friction. Any outdated or malfunctioning equipment should be repaired or replaced to ensure that your garage door is operating at peak efficiency.
How to Lubricate Your Garage Door
- Make sure that your garage door is closed and the power is turned off.
- Clean your garage door tracks to remove any dirt or debris that has accrued. Do not put any lubricant on the tracks because it can restrict the movement of the rollers.
- Extensively lubricate the hinges of your garage door.
- Adequately lubricate your garage door rollers and the ball bearings. Be careful not to apply too much or else you risk affecting the balance of your garage door.
- Grease the bearing plates and torsional springs. After you have done so, open and close your garage door a couple of times to ensure the even distribution of the lubricant.
- For those with a lock, don’t forget to lubricate it as well. We encourage you to also lubricate the keyhole.
- Use a rag to spread the grease around on the top of the rail. Be sure not to accidentally grease your garage door chain as it is already coated for lubrication.
Periodically lubricating your garage door can extend its lifespan and ensure that it continues to function in an optimal state. This, along with regular maintenance and repairs, can help you maintain the quality of your garage door. That’s why getting in touch with the garage door repair and installation experts at All Right Garage Doors is the right move for you. Our team has proven time and again that we can be trusted by Orange County and Mission Viejo homeowners to provide an incredible client experience that features both friendly customer service and world-class garage door repair services that are of stellar quality. To learn more about what All Right Garage can do for you, call us at (714) 726-2225 or contact us online.